Cairo University is the second oldest university in Egypt and the third Arab university after Al-Azhar University and Al-Qarawiyin University. Its various faculties were established during the reign of Muhammad Ali, such as Muhannadskana (about 1820) and the medical school in 1827. After a popular campaign to establish a modern university led by Mustafa Kamel and others. This university was founded on 21 December 1908 under the name of the Egyptian University , despite the opposition of the British occupation authority led by Lord Cromer. It was renamed after the University of Fouad I and then Cairo University after the revolution of July 23, 1952. It includes a large number of university colleges. The university is located in the city of Giza, west of Cairo, and some of its colleges are located in the neighborhoods of Manial, Muneera and Dokki such as the faculties of human medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and physiotherapy. The number of Nobel laureates is 3 and was ranked globally in 2004 among the top 500 universities worldwide and annually has over 155,000 students.
The origins and evolution of the university
With the intensification of the Egyptian national movement in the early 20th century, a number of national leaders and pioneers of enlightenment and social thought in Egypt, such as Mohamed Abdo, Mustafa Kamel, Mohamed Farid, Kassem Amin and Saad Zaghloul, A university that promotes the country in all walks of life, and be a beacon of free thought and a basis for the scientific renaissance and bridges the country with the origins of modern science, and the crucifixion of the necessary cadres in all disciplines to share the world in the scientific progress, but this security was strongly opposed by the British occupation authorities, especially Dean Re Cromer, who realized that the establishment of the University in Egypt, means finding an educated class of Egyptians realize that independence is not merely liberating the land, but it is the liberation of the Egyptian character and starting in the hypochondriac city and civilization. However, this opposition did not stop the enthusiasm of the idea, quickly took over the matter of a nationalists who made sacrifices and suffered hardships until the idea came to light and became a reality, and the opening of the Egyptian University as a university on 21 December 1908 in a ceremony Majed was held at the Shura Council Hall of Law, attended by Khedive Abbas Helmy II and some of the State's dignitaries and dignitaries. The first president of the university was Ahmed Lutfi al-Sayed.
On the evening of the opening day, the study began at the university in the form of lectures, and since it was not allocated a permanent headquarters at the time, the lectures were received in different rooms was announced in the daily newspapers such as the Shura Council of Law, and the High School Club, In Saray Al-Khawaja Nestor Ganaklis, currently operated by the American University in Cairo.
As a result of the financial difficulties of the university during the First World War, the building moved to Sarai Mohammed Sidqi in the field of flowers on the street astronomical economy of expenditure. In order to be able to prepare a nucleus of its faculty, she sent some of her outstanding students to the universities of Europe to obtain a doctorate and return to teach modern science, and was headed by these envoys Taha Hussein, Mansour Fahmi, and Ahmed Deif. The University has also established a library of books that were given to it from inside and outside the country.
As a result of the high expectations of the university, it expressed the aspirations of the Egyptians. In 1917, the government considered the establishment of a public university and set up a committee that included the inclusion of the existing higher schools to the university. The schools of law and medicine joined the university on 12 March 1923, Eligibility to integrate into the new university to be the Faculty of Arts nucleus of this university. 
On March 11, 1925, a decree was issued to establish the government university on behalf of the Egyptian University. It was composed of four faculties: Arts, Sciences, Medicine and Law. In the same year, the pharmacy school of the Faculty of Medicine was included.
In 1928, the university began to establish permanent headquarters in its current location, which it obtained from the government in compensation for the land donated by the Princess Fatima Ismail Bint Khedive Ismail to the University.
On August 22, 1935, the Royal Decree No. 91 was issued by the incorporation of the schools of engineering, agriculture, trade and veterinary medicine at the Egyptian University.
On 31 October 1935 a decree was issued to append the Institute of Aquaculture to the Egyptian University.
In 1938, the veterinary school separated from the medical school to become an independent college.
On May 23, 1940, Law No. 27 was issued to change the name of the Egyptian University to Fouad I University.
On April 24, 1946, Law No. 33 was issued by the College of Dar Al Uloom.
On September 28, 1953, a decree was issued to amend the university name from Fouad I University to Cairo University.
In 1955, the Department of Pharmacy and Oral and Dental Medicine was separated from the Faculty of Medicine, each becoming an independent faculty. In the same year, a branch of Cairo University was established in Khartoum and flags of the university were scattered on the South Valley.
And then the establishment of colleges after that began the study in the Faculty of Economics and Political Science in the academic year 1960/1961.
In 1962 the Institute of Statistical Studies and Research was established, and in the same year the Institute of Physiotherapy was established, which in January 1992 was transformed into a physiotherapy college.
In 1964, the Higher Institute of Nursing was established and the Faculty of Medicine was established. In 1969, the National Institute of Oncology was established. In 1970, the Faculty of Information and Archeology and the Institute for African Research and Studies were established.
In 1979, the Institute for Regional and Urban Planning was established and transferred to the Regional and Urban Planning College in 1991.
In 1987, the Institute for Research and Educational Studies was established at Cairo University. On September 12, 1994, Decree No. (287B) was issued establishing the National Institute of Laser Sciences